I’ve suffered from dry, irritated skin all my life, from eczema flare ups to nasty breakouts, i’ve been there! Whilst my skin is at a good stage now it’s taken me a while to get here. I was definitely very naive when it came to choosing the right products that would ‘agree’ with my skin and after many years of trials and a LOT of errors here are some tips and a few product recommendations for those of you who suffer from sensitive skin.
- Keep it simple: Use super-gentle cleansers and don’t use any products containing alcohol, fragrances or yucky foaming agents.
- Less is more: Use products containing only a couple of ingredients, (natural is where it’s at).
- Read the label: Get to know which ingredients don’t ‘agree’ with your skin and make sure you check the label before you buy them. I avoid ingredients like Methylisothiazolinone and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS).
- Test, test, test: Try and patch test the product on your skin first before you buy it, many beauty brands will hand out samples for you to try at home, all you need to do is ask.
- Be SPF smart: My skin often becomes irritable from sun exposure. Wear suncream all year round with at least an SPF 30 to minimise redness.
The Caudalie Vinosource Creme Sorbet is ultra-hydrating. On application the gel texture turns into water leaving my skin hydrated, softened and comfortable. I’ve been using this cream in the morning all over my face and neck after i’ve cleansed and any redness is swiftly relieved. It soaks into my skin quickly meaning that I don’t need to hang about waiting to put my make up on for the day ahead. If you have a little more time you can apply it as a mask and leave it on your skin for a few minutes for maximum hydration, your skin will thank you.
Ren’s Evercalm range was specifically formulated for those with skin sensitivity. I’ve been using their Anti-Redness Serum lately which has really helped to reduce the appearance of any red patches in my complexion. The serum also helps to combat skin dehydration through the use of Hyaluronic Acid. If my skin is feeling extra parched in the morning or evening i’ll add a few drops of this onto my skin and then apply my moisturiser afterwards.
Avene’s cleansing lotion has been part of my skincare routine for many years. It removes my make up without irritating my skin with just one cotton pad. The fluid is plant based which ensures that it’s extra gentle. It’s also oil-free so it leaves my skin clean and soft without leaving it dry and tight. This is a superb product if you’re looking for something which is fragrance-free, paraben-free, colorant-free and alcohol-free. It ticks all the boxes.
So, if you do suffer from skin sensitivity I feel your pain, it sucks! Give my tips a whirl and hopefully they’ll work for you like they did for me.